Future Physician Leaders
Future Physician Leaders & Health Coach Program Information Sessions
Join us for the UCR School of Medicine Pathway Programs Informational Session to learn more about:
- The Future Physician Leaders (FPL) program is a nine-week summer internship where you learn about developing a community health education project and present your research, network with various health professionals through the leadership lecture series, and a limited number of students may participate in a mentorship program.
- The Health Coach Program (HCP) provides students an opportunity to volunteer at a Riverside University Health System (RUHS) clinic and guide patients through goals aimed at achieving healthier lifestyles in partnership with a health care team during the academic school year (2022-2023).
Register for either of the two sessions:
March 10 – 5 to 6 p.m.
March 29 – 5 to 6 p.m.
Questions? Email email@example.com
What is the Future Physician Leaders Program?
The Future Physician Leaders (FPL) program is a summer mentorship program for prospective healthcare students who also want to fulfill a mission of service to the community. The nine-week summer program is comprised of four components: the Leadership Lecture Series, Community Health Project, Program Symposium, and Mentorship Program.
After successfully completing the summer program, participants are invited to numerous networking events throughout the year. The community-based, collaborative program was started in 2009 by Dr. Raul Ruiz.
There are two program sites and meeting locations:
- Coachella Valley - UCR Palm Desert
- Riverside/San Bernardino - UCR Main Campus
The program is typically held in person at the respective locations. Due to COVID-19 pandemic, Summer 2022 will be held in HYBRID format until further notice.
The program is intended primarily for college and high school students living in the Inland Southern California region who are interested in serving their community and pursuing a career in medicine. Space in the program is limited and applicants must sign a social contract ensuring their complete participation. Participants may have to pay for some of their project materials depending on the topic; this a group effort and is based on the group project.
There is no cost to apply or participate in the FPL program.
For more information please contact SOM-FPL@medsch.ucr.edu
Information Session Recording Available
If you were not able to attend a live information session to learn more about the Future Physician Leaders and Health Coach Program, please review this recording. This recording is intended for prospective applicants that would like to get a better idea about the application process, program components and program benefits of both programs.
The FPL program is a life-long mentorship program that aims to support students through all stages of preparation including college, med school, residency, and beyond. It consists of the following components:
- The Leadership Lecture Series, a series of educational opportunities that include lectures, workshops and group discussions that bring together students, physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to foster mentoring relationships.
- The Community Health Project, exposes students to community service and provides them the opportunity to actively work on improving healthcare access and community health. Past projects have included conducting health education on a particular topic at local community centers and churches, boys an girls clubs, etc. Past topics include diabetes management, nutrition, skin cancer awareness, air pollution, and much more.
- The Mentorship Program provides up to 30-to-40 students the opportunity to match with a UCR SOM medical student or local health professional who will help students with career preparation and the medical school application process.
February 7, 2022
Application Deadlines: Extended Deadlines
RSB May 4, 2022
CV May 8, 2022
Notification of Acceptance:
All Sites will be notified early - May
Mandatory Program Orientation:
Saturday, May 21, 2022 from 9AM - 11AM via Zoom
Program Start Date:
June 13, 2022
Program End Date:
August 11, 2022
August 9 - 11, 2022